I was thinking tonight about all the ways I have been blessed, and that I should focus more on my blessings rather than my challenges. Yes, life can be hard. But I do have many blessings that I should be thankful for.
The other day, Jordan and I were talking about Jaxton’s birth. And he said that the moment that the nurse called “Code White” was one of the scariest things he’d experienced. In my memory, the nurse leaned over and told me she was going to call a Code White, but that I shouldn’t worry about it. So I didn’t. Jax had just been born, and they were stitching me up or something – I don’t really remember. I don’t really remember much about that moment at all – perhaps I was looking at Jax?
But apparently, she called Code White because I had an excessive amount of bleeding and they couldn’t get it to stop. And when they called the code, a bunch of doctors rushed in and got right to work on me. I have absolutely NO recollection of this. I even asked my mom about it to confirm if Jordan’s memory was correct, and she said it definitely did happen. Obviously I don’t know how serious it was, but the outcome was good. 🙂
But I was thinking about it tonight because the novel I’m reading for my moms’ book club had a scene where a woman died in childbirth. And I wondered if that would have been me if it weren’t for modern medicine. Or even if I’d decided to have a home-birth (never an option in my mind). So I think that I need to add modern medicine to the list of things that I’m thankful for. And good hospitals.
Other notable blessings:
– getting to rock and nurse my little boy to sleep. Even though he’s had a cold for the last 2 weeks. And he’s not sleeping through the night because he can’t breathe. Its still magical to rock and nurse him to sleep, even at 2am.
– Taking a shower after a long run and having a naked toddler show up in the bathroom saying “I want take a shower too!”. And then smiling the next morning at 5:45am when I get in the shower and elephant and giraffe are still in there.
– Watching Jax practice crawling, with his target usually being me. I love being his target.
– Sitting down and playing playdoh surprise eggs with Jaylee. “Let’s make a mommy egg!”. “What’s inside the green?”. “Let’s make a Pascal!”. “She wants an ice-cream!”
– Working out to the Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred with Jordan. Slapping hands, slapping butts, jumping in circles – he makes me smile and laugh during a very tough workout.
And that’s just the blessings over the last couple of days. God has been kind to me.